Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Can You Pass the U.S. Citizenship Test?


Photo Source: PolicyMic


This past Sunday's sermon at GFCC was about citizenship, specifically into the Kingdom of God, but it also touched on becoming a U.S. citizen. I became a U.S. citizen through birth, despite being born in the Philippines. I actually got to witness my mom's naturalization process while growing up and I was pretty young then but this past Sunday gave me the opportunity to reflect on that.

My mom had to take tests and she had to learn civics, government rules and procedures, etc. She was diligently tested on matters that high schoolers "learn" but do anything to pass and many naturally born citizens take for granted.

It got me to thinking about how many of today's citizens would have a difficult time passing the U.S. citizenship test. It also sparked a challenge between me and Ryan. Could we both pass this?

I went to the USCIS website, you can too, and checked out the free resources. There you can find a list of 100 questions and answers that could be asked on the civics test. There are also downloadable civics flashcards, vocabulary and writing flashcards, video and audio as well. If you're interested in doing the challenge with us, comment below or send an e-mail! I literally just got this idea overnight and thought that it was important enough to follow through because it's my role as a citizen to actually understand what I represent. I'm going to try to find more resources, maybe track down some at the local library, and see if I can find a practice test to quiz us on. If not, maybe I can put something together and post it here so we can try it all out together.

If you're still pretty confident in your abilities to pass(way to go rockstar), see if you could get through these questions, provided by PolicyMic's 5 U.S. Citizenship Test Questions You'd Probably Fail

(remember, no Google searches)

1. What does the Constitution do?

2. Who becomes the President, if the President and Vice President can no longer serve?

3. How many amendments does the Constitution have?

4. What is freedom of religion?

5. What stops one branch of government from becoming too powerful?

Stumped? You can find the answers by clicking on the PolicyMic link, or better yet, join us in prepping to take our practice test :)

If you liked this post, share it with others! If you feel particularly moved by it, leave a comment because I love feedback and discussion. Social media links are provided below and thanks for reading!

 photo signature_zpsc0b51015.jpg 

No comments :

Post a Comment