Thursday, November 21, 2013

Literary Junkies November 2013: The Storyteller



Pink Heels Pink Truck1) What are you currently reading? Tell us about it!
Just wrapped up Jodi Picoult's "The Storyteller" and it was an amazing read. The overall story is about a young woman named Sage who comes from a Jewish family but doesn't really connect with her faith. It isn't until she meets an elderly German man does she realize exactly how important her family's history and the Jewish culture is in her identity. It was one book that I didn't guess the ending until it was happening. Such a great read!
Now I've moved onto "The Bone Season" and "The Valley of Amazement." I saw a ton of reviews on "The Bone Season" and how the author is in her early 20's and being compared to J.K. Rowling with a series that may be as popular as Harry Potter. I like the book so far but I don't think it will have the wide set appeal that the Harry Potter series had on a global level. With "The Valley of Amazement," I have been a huge fan of Amy Tan since I read "The Joy Luck Club." I'm incredibly excited to get started on her latest book.

2) How many books have you read this year? Do you set reading goals for yourself?
So far 18. I originally started off with a goal of 30, which may still be attainable but for some reason it got changed to 50 on Goodreads. Not thinking that's quite possibly at the moment but who knows, anything could happen.

3) What do you think are the best and worst book-to-movie/TV show adaptations?
This definitely got me thinking. Earlier this year, there was a series based on the Bible and I thought they did a phenomenal job. I think any person, whether they identified with Christianity or not, could really appreciate how the director and producers put the series together. People were even saying that the show had a hot Jesus. That's Hollywood for ya.

I am always so cautious about going to see book-to-movie adaptations because if I love a book, the movie could just kill it. For example, I love "The Fault in Our Stars" but since I really just adore the characters, I hope that the actors in the upcoming movie will be able to convey them.

4) What is the first line of your favorite book?
This is a story about a man named Eddie and it begins at the end, with Eddie dying in the sun. It might seem strange to start a story with an ending. But all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time.

5) What's your favorite quote from a book?
Variations of this quote, "Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die" (Herbert Hoover) and "I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to die in" (George McGovern), have been cycling through my mind the past couple of weeks. It's not my favorite book quote yet, but I'm trying to create a story with this as the main focus. I'm actually really excited about it.


If you liked this post, share it with others! If you feel particularly moved by it, leave a comment because I love feedback and discussion. Social media links are provided below and thanks for reading!
 photo signature_zpsc0b51015.jpg

1 comment :

  1. I really enjoyed The Storyteller. And I didn't see the ending coming until the very end. OMG! Totally changed how I saw a majority of the book. Crazy! But I love that about books. :) Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete