Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Downy Touch of Comfort- Quilts for Kids


While growing up, my grandmother had so many talents and I always felt that she could do anything when it came to crafting.  Before she passed on, she made her grandchildren quilts that we had all picked out.  I treasure that quilt because it was made with love and is a tangible memory of my grandmother's skills and legacy as passing on crafting through future generations.  I have always valued crafting and the talent of quilting.  I've received quilts from friends and family and each one is unique and well loved.  The time, talent and love that is put into making a quilt is just a package of reasons on why I love the mission of Quilts for Kids.
  
 Transforming discontinued, unwanted and other fabrics into patchwork quilts that comfort children with life-threatening illnesses and children of abuse. 

Over 20,000 quilts have been made and donated!

 
Awesome little documentary on a group of quilters and what their donation journey

Hospital stays can be stressful and lonely.  I can't imagine how difficult that can be on a young child and these quilts become their "blankies" from home and just give them some sense of comfort during their stay.



You can request a Quilt Kit and they'll send one within two weeks.  There is no charge for shipping and handling and you receive fabric for the top, the backing, the pattern and the QFK label.  You will need to provide the batting (low-loft 1/8” – 1/4” poly or cotton).  Quilts done within 4-6 weeks are sent directly to children in need.

Part of your donation includes providing the batting as well as shipping the quilt to their headquarters. 



While Ryan was deployed, I went into crafting overload.  I learned how to crochet, knit and quilt.  I can't think of a better way to share some of those talents with some wonderful kids.  I'm really looking forward to being a part of this wonderful opportunity and I hope some of my crafting compadres will do the same!

Yes! That's Dr. Bailey from "Grey's Anatomy"! Chandra Wilson is their spokesperson :)



No comments :

Post a Comment