Sunday, March 24, 2013

My Metabolism's Coconut Stand


While I was going through tech school, I gained weight.  I was debating whether to write this post or not because I didn't gain a "significant" amount of weight compared to other folks.  The weight that I have now is some folks' goal weight.  It's not the numbers to me, it's how I could feel myself changing and I didn't like the way I looked.  Admittedly it hasn't happened to me often in the past, maybe a few pounds here and there in the summer, but when I got to my new base it became very apparent to me.  Before our move here, I got rid of a ton of dresses.  They held a lot of memories for me, but kind of felt out place not being in a college scene and I also didn't feel 100% comfortable in them.  I lost weight in college, not a significant amount, and I usually maintained it because I was walking all the time and working out for ROTC.  Thinking on it now, I was constantly stressed in college and running to back-to-back appointments.  I was always on the move and eating as I ran.  Probably not the best, or healthiest, way to go about things but I know many college students do that.
Unlike college, tech school was very stationary.  I did hours and hours of studying, was constantly stressed, and did so sitting most of the time.  By the time I was done studying, it would be 8 or 9 at night and then time to eat dinner.  I would snack or grab something quick throughout the day, not the best things.  If I was exhausted, I made something that was simple and easy.  For the first few months, I was worked out every single day and made use of the workout facilities.  As the material I was studying became more difficult, I spent less time in the gym.  This developed into a bad habit, and one that I had never developed in the past.

I would get into arguments with my husband about it.  I felt overwhelmed by studying, moving, and balancing the new pressures of this job and aspects of being an adult.  When we moved, Ryan would encourage me to go the gym with him.  I would go, run, lift on the machines, etc.  It was good and I started to feel better but I would get bored.  I invested in Jillian Michaels's 30 day workout.  I did it for a couple of weeks, but it started to get redundant.

Amidst all of this, I was frustrated at first because looking at myself in the mirror, I didn't like what I was seeing.  I went from this:
 
To taking pictures after weekly workouts to see my progress:


I swam competitively for ten years.  This caused me to get a very muscular set of shoulders and back.  My specialty stroke was breaststroke, so I usually have very muscular legs as well.  Seeing that back chub/love handle combo was really devastating on my spirit. I've been athletic for so long, that I've never had to worry about it. I feel like my metabolism has gone on vacation and set up a coconut carving stand.  

So when my metabolism sent me a postcard of my youth, I decided I needed to get more proactive about this.  My grocery lists are filled with healthier items and as always, everything within reasonable portions.  Whenever I head to our fridge or pantry, I can find healthy alternatives and I'm always looking for other healthy snacks or things I can make (feel free to leave suggestions).  I've been drinking a protein/meal replacement program from GNC with almond milk in the mornings to give my metabolism a kick start.  I also try to head to the gym everyday after work and play games like wallyball and basketball with my friends.  I've even been going to Zumba two to three times a week and I love it! I've missed dancing so much and it's a fun way to really work up a sweat without feeling like it's a "typical" workout.

 
My friend Lindsey also recommended a running app called Zombies, Run! It's pretty sweet.  The whole premise is that you're part of a township in the midst of a zombie apocalypse.  By running, you're able to collect valuable items like medical kits and radios to help accomplish the mission.  It taps into your already existing playlists.  For my first run, it played songs by ZZ Ward and I've got to say, she would be an awesome artist to have on a zombie-themed-survival movie soundtrack...just sayin' ;)

My mom would always say that one day my metabolism would just s l o w down but of course, you never believe your mom until it actually happens.  I feel better about how I look and I am finally get back into my regular fitness routine.  I want to try more with weight lifting and incorporating green shakes (kale) into my diet.  My goal is to do heavy toning.  I want legs like those on Dancing with the Stars.  Have you seen it? The show has become my new obsession since The Bachelor has finished up and hunky Sean Lowe is making an appearance.

If you have any recommendations on workouts, recipes, or kale drinks, definitely comment below.  I would love to hear them! :)

Thanks for reading and here's to a more fit lifestyle!
 photo simplicity_signature2_zpsa3727539.jpg

13 comments :

  1. Hey girly. First of all, I like the new little changes to the blog heading and your picture!

    Secondly, diet and exercise are important. Try eating 5-6 smaller meals rather than 3 big meals a day. Cut out/down on processed foods. Have lean protein at every meal. Try to look up some Crossfit or Tabata workouts. These are usually quick, high intensity workouts. I do high intensity interval training...its hard but worth it!

    Good luck! Hope this helps a bit!

    -AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AJ for your support! It's a little bit more difficult doing 5-6 meals a day with my job but I'll definitely try to incorporate that. I usually do HIIT workouts and am trying to bring it back up to the level at which I used to do them in college...which was a year ago *womp womp*
      I appreciate the support and if you any other advice or additional food tips/recipes, that would be awesome!

      =]

      Delete
    2. I usually never had a problem with motivating myself to workout, it was more that I love food and often times don't care what I'm eating. I really want to find food that's good, satisfying, and filling (but not overdoing it). If you have any tips on that, that is usually my main concern.

      Delete
  2. Hey Kim! I love your honesty. I know that this had to of been difficult to write. I think many of us have been in your shoes at one point or another. But remember you are and always will be a BEAUTIFUL woman. NO ONE can tell you otherwise. These changes you are making are for you.

    My recommendations:
    -DO NOT keep anything tempting in the house (so try to get Ryan on board to help you too). For example I don't keep peanut butter around because I KNOW I'll just gobble it all up.
    -I agree with AJ do some crossfit style and tabata style workouts and try to vary it up. Pinterest has TONS of great premade circuit workouts. I try to do a different one every week.


    Miss you darlin, and know that you are soso beautiful and a wonderful person!
    -Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you too love! Ryan is actually way better about healthy eating than I am, but I still like cake and cookies lol. I'm happy with my progress so far and it's just been a process getting back to making working out a habit. I think tomorrow Ashton will show me more about weight lifting. I'm excited to get my squat on ;)

      Delete
  3. I can appreciate this post. I've always dealt with up and down weight, but during college I too lost a lot of weight from constantly being stressed and running around campus. I didn't have a car at the time either so if I wanted to go off campus between classes, I had to walk. Looking back on those photos of my college years, I can't believe how skinny I was!

    I find myself battling to get fit again after slacking off this past winter. I hate dieting. I hate depriving myself from anything so the MyFitnessPal app is really helpful. You set up your profile and your goals. From there, it gives you a daily calorie goal. You can enter your physical activity for the day and also what you ate. It's really teaching me better portion control and gives me a better view of what I'm putting into my body and how active I'm being. I also sync my FitBit One to it. I'm getting into the habit of wearing my FitBit again. It also motivates me to stay active during the day. Keep working out with friends, too! And if you need healthier recipes, check out Skinnytaste.com. She creates skinny versions of favorite meals!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently signed up for MyFitnessPal online and I'll have to add the app to my phone because working out is becoming a habit (yay!) and I'm on a mission to find super delicious food. I love Skinnytaste.com and definitely want to try out more of her recipes. Claudia, from Little Mayberry Life, and I are about to become blogger workout support buddies and you should join us :)

      Delete
    2. I just saw this reply. I'd love to join you guys for workout support! I'll have to look you up on MyFitnessPal. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh how I love this post!!!!! :)

    First of all a big thumbs up to the new header and tweaks around the blog. Love it! If this isn´t that new, don´t hate me. My life´s been crazy the last couple of weeks and I wasn´t able to stay tuned other than instagramming and tweeting my heart out :)

    Now this post:
    It really doesn´t matter what size you are or if and how much weight you want to lose or if you "just" want to get toned... you just want to feel comfortable in your body. Still it´s something that sounds so easy and most of us are struggling with this their whole life.

    I am no exception. I decided to go with The Tracy Andersion Metamorphosis program which is a 90 day program - intense work out routine as well as strict diet plan. I didn´t follow it to the core but like 90 % of it. I lost 33 lbs this summer of 2011. The summer ended with a mountainbike accident and a knee injury and now 1,5 years later I gained it all back and then some.

    I am slowly getting back to a routine and cleaner eating but this time I am in no rush even though I am very inpatient when it comes to seeing actual results! But the last time it just happened so fast, my mind couldn´t keep up with the progress! I was still the fat girl looking in the mirror. This time I am not only losing weight, I want to get rid of it and have no intention to never gain it back!! I want to develop a healthy routine and lifestyle but still be fine with it if I don´t work out for a couple of days and don´t go crazy with guilt and self doubts.....

    Here´s to plans and this new adventure called health and happiness and not diet and deprivation!

    xo Martie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..... of course I meant to say that I don´t have any intention to EVER gain it back.... not never..... that happens when you multitask while commenting :)

      Delete
    2. Totally know what you mean by developing it into a habit. I need to browse Skinnytaste.com more often because I want healthy alternatives but I also want them to be filling and delicious. I don't want it to feel like I'm doing this huge change by eating things that taste like crap. I like cake, like a lot. I also used to love working out and I'm starting to get back to that place again, which I love. I would love to find healthier recipes for sweets and alternatives because my sweet tooth will never change but I definitely want to be putting in healthier foods into my body.

      Delete
  5. Hi! I'm in the same boat- I am having a bit of trouble motivating myself to run, and I LOVE food. Before I was pregnant, I took up running and absolutely loved it. I got down to a weight/shape I was happy with and proud of... and then found out I was pregnant and the doctor told me not to run, just walk. It's been a year since I went for a run! I also tried the 30 day shred... Can't do it. I hate repetitiveness! I have found some recipes for smoothies that are delicious. Also, I don't like yogurt but I found a Greek vanilla yogurt and I love it. I have it for breakfast in in my smoothies! Also, my cousin sent me some crossfit workouts, if you'd like I can forward the email/file to you! I have A LOT of baby weight to lose, but I also think that partnering up and having someone to share/compare, give motivation, might help? So when I want a big piece of chocolate cake you can tell me "NO, don't do it!" HA. If you'd be interested, let me know! :)

    Claudia @littlemayberrylife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia- love this! I just sent you an e-mail and I would love to be blogger workout support buddies :)

      Delete