Tuesday, December 10, 2013

2013 Year in Review with Nicole :)




What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Been in charge of nuclear weapons. Yep, that's a pretty big one.

Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't know if I've made any but for the first time, I'll be having diet and exercise on the list. I also want to focus on being more grateful for what I have and appreciating the blessings in my life.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Lindsey Herber did!

Did anyone close to you die?
No one close to me, which I'm thankful for because being away from family while being in the military makes it difficult for us to see family and create those memories.

What countries did you visit?
We stayed completely in the U.S. this year working on my 2nd Lieutenant pay while Ryan goes to school.

What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
I feel like 2013 was a hot mess. I'm looking forward to having goals and applying methods to achieve them this upcoming year.

What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory?
Valentine's Day comes to mind, simply because that's when we arrived at Malmstrom.  I also became baptized again as an adult which was an amazing experience.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Receiving a superior performer award for our short sprints (nuke operations). I also started my Master's Degree (yayy).

What was your biggest failure?
Everything kind of orbits around missiles with this one. Getting a crit on my evaluation sucked and gaining weight from lack of motivation and exhaustion. I think the process of adjusting to this careerfield really drained the life out of me.

Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, thank goodness!

What was the best thing you bought?
Blu our dog! He is seriously the sweetest baby.

Whose behavior merited celebration?
I feel like "behavior" is a weird way to word it. It's more like people I'm proud of which would be my parents, my husband, my bestie Brittany, and my dog Holly. My parents have been really focused on fitness and have been doing several coordinated runs. My dad even did a half marathon and it's awesome to see that type of focus. I'm really proud of my husband for starting his college career. After dedicating four years to the Marine Corps, he finally gets to be a college kid. My old roommate, field training buddy, and best-friend, Brittany for being an amazing person. Each week we attended a small group through our church called "How to Not Marry a Jerk" and each week brought on great discussion. It was so awesome to see what choices she decided to make with her life based on that experience. Finally my dog, Holly, who is like my first born. It's amazing to see how smart German Shepherds are and it's amazing how much she has matured since last year. She's fricken talented and such a good dog.

Where did most of your money go?
I would say probably vet bills since Blu has a reverse incontinence condition.

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My mother-in-law visiting was pretty fun! I also really loved being able to go home to Wisconsin to see one of my best-friends, Emily, get married. I miss home so much!!

What song will always remind you of 2013?
Unfortunately "Blurred Lines"- mainly because that was when it horrendously obvious how terrible and degrading music has become. I used to really like Robin Thicke but I was not happy with that song nor the music video. I was really not happy with how he chose to address either in later interviews.

Compared to this time last year, are you:

Happier or sadder? Happier. Last year was the first Christmas Ryan and I were able to spend together as a married couple and I think there was a lot of pressure that I had created to have such a wonderful Christmas. It led me to be really disappointed. I think my expectations this year are definitely more reasonable.

Thinner or fatter? Unfortunately fatter. I never really gained weight throughout high school or college. I was very thin and very athletic. But with missiles, I have used it as my crutch for not going to the gym and gained several pounds. I definitely have more curves now. I really would just like to balance that out and gain muscle.

Richer or poorer? Haha I guess it's how you look at it. I'm rich with family, love, and friends. However, we are very broke and one income serving two adults and two dogs isn't very fun.

What do you wish you’d done more of? Gone out and saw more of Montana. I still haven't been to Missoula or Bozeman.

What do you wish you’d done less of? I wish Ryan and I fought less. We fought almost every week of 2013. Our marriage is very much a left-brain person tied to a right-brain person. It caused a lot of stress on our marriage.

How will you be spending Christmas? In Montana with family and friends! I'm thinking we may do Christmas Eve dinner and have friends over :)

Did you fall in love in 2013? With a baby German Shepherd named Blu? Yessiree :)

How many one-night stands? Haha none

Who were your best friends?
So many! I have been blessed with so many amazing people in my life, whether back home in Wisconsin or here in Montana.

What thing did you do that was meaningful to others?
As cheesy as it sounds, probably become an OIC for a site. I take great pride in making sure it's a clean launch center and good stuff's there.

What were your favorite TV programs?
Modern Family, Parks and Recreation, Boardwalk Empire, Orange is the New Black, Game of Thrones, White Queen

What was the best book you read in 2013?
Probably The Storyteller Jodi Picoult.

What was your greatest musical discovery?
Jimmy Needham and his hymns album and overall contemporary Christian music.

What did you want and get? What did you want but did NOT get?
I got a Silhouette Cameo for my birthday and I know I received my coveted Paul Bunyan doll for Christmas.  In terms of what I didn't get are just little things here and there.

What was your favorite film of this year?
Probably Catching Fire.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 24 this past Monday and we went book shopping and had dinner with friends.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Less fighting with my spouse and probably a different Air Force career.

What kept you sane?
My battle buddies ;)

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
J.J. Watt from the Texans.  He's a Sconnie who does so much for the community. He's amazing.

What political issue stirred you the most?
Gay marriage passed and I am so thrilled that there are more marriage equality rights for folks :)

Who did you miss?
 Everyone back home in Wisconsin.

Who was the best new person you met this year?
So many awesome people in missiles. That's the best part of my job- meeting great people :)

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
Mission first.  It doesn't matter if it's an important family event or life event or career move, the mission always takes precedence.

Quote that sums up your year:
Comparison is the thief of joy.


If you liked this post, share it with others! If you feel particularly moved by it, leave a comment because I love feedback and discussion. Social media links are provided below and thanks for reading!
 photo signature_zpsc0b51015.jpg

No comments :

Post a Comment