Saturday, July 27, 2013

Augustmas...a Preview

July 25th marked "Christmas in July" and got me all kinds of excited for our Augustmas party.  Inspired by Ruthie Hart's Augustmas celebration (this year in July) and Jessica's drinking game, Ryan and I are putting together an Augustmas party for our friends here in good ol' Montana.  Being in the military, Christmas is a tricky time to get together because a lot of people are heading home (much like the rest of the U.S.) but with different sets of leave, it can be hard to get people together.  So we're putting together an Augustmas party to get into the holiday spirit a little bit early.

Also Honey Boo Boo, I can't get enough of that show and their Christmas in July for charity was too cute!

Here is some of the inspiration:

ugly sweater party
Source
Who doesn't love a funny take on Christmas traditions?  After telling our friends that we were thinking of having an Augustmas party, many said that they needed to call their parents back home and have their "ugly Christmas sweaters" mailed in.  I get so excited when people go all out for themed parties!
Kitchen Christmas decoration
Source via Cottage Dreams

I plan on using our already existing Christmas decorations and maybe borrowing a few more from friends.  I think by adding simple little details around our living room and kitchen it can definitely create a Christmas feel.
Christmas pillow
Source via Vintage Charm Restored

I'm planning playing plenty of Michael Buble and Mariah Carey as well as all of the classics.  With a Christmas Pandora station in the background, guests can mingle around the room.
101 Ideas...
Source
 The blog, Baby Rabies, hosts an inappropriate Elf on the Shelf every year and I was thinking of using some of those photos or recreating them myself to create fun ice breaker opportunities around the house.  

From this last year's contest :)

Add A Little Jingle and Pop of Color to Your Stemware - do for breakfast on Christmas Eve or Day
Source via Hallelujah by Holly
 I cannot get enough details when it comes to anything with event planning.  I'm definitely planning on adding jingle bells and ribbons to a ton of things :)
Block Nativity Set
Source via Ginger Snap Crafts
 I wanted to make this Nativity Scene last year but never got to it.  She used a Silhouette Cameo, I believe, to make this, but I think it can also be accomplished through free-hand (my normal go-to).
Peppermint Bark Snowflakes-so easy to make!!
Source via Once Upon a Plate
Oh the food and desserts! I'm planning on having a pot luck of sorts and asking guests to add an element of Christmas fun to it.  I'm also planning on adding a white elephant gift exchange to see what people have hanging around when it's not the holidays :P
north pole cupcakes
Source via Tiny White Daisies
We'll definitely throw in a Christmas movie and I'm sure the Christmas Vacation drinking game will come in handy ;)
 
Do you celebrate Christmas in July or Augustmas?  What are some of your favorite silly traditions?
 
If you liked this post, share it with others! If you feel particularly moved by it, leave a comment because I love feedback and discussion. Social media links are provided below and thanks for reading!
  photo signature_zpsc0b51015.jpg

1 comment :

  1. How fun! I LOVE Christmas so celebrating it twice would be a dream! All of these ideas are so fun. Can't wait to see how the party goes!



    -AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

    ReplyDelete