Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Multiracial Cinderella & My Mother's Pregnancy Talk

Roger & Hammerstein's Cinderella is quite possibly 
my most favorite version of Cinderella.
1. The songs are awesome.
2. Genetically, it doesn't make sense at all but it's fantastic!
3.  It features actors who represent different ethnic groups in roles 
that are typically cast to white folks.  That's not typically seen, therefore I love it even more.
4. Whitney is the Fairy Godmother!  You know shit's real when "The Bodyguard" 
actress can all of a sudden turn pumpkins into stagecoaches.
Have y'all seen the reviews for the new movie, "Sparkle"? Basically if you're a Whitney fan, you will love her role in the movie but otherwise it's kind of a mediocre movie...sad day.

I love musicals!

So while I'm comfortably enjoying it on TV, I thought I would bring up a conversation that I had with my mother on Skype.
A little background info, she's Filipino and wonderful.
She also has certain personality quirks.

 That's her, she's a cutie.

To start off the story, it's pertinent that you watch this video:
 Keep this in mind while reading the rest of this story


Here are my parents (back in the day)

As you can tell, my mom = thebombdotcom
She's still super pretty but back in the day, that would be considered a "thrilla from Manila"
I'm totally joking and have no idea what I'm talking about.
She has been called a MILF before, in which she replied, "I don't know what that is."
After several references to the "American Pie" series, she finally understood.
She giggled, blushed, dismissed it and I bring it up often to torture her.
My husband appreciates the MILF factor because we all know,
mom = daughter
I got it from my Momma

What was particularly entertaining about our Skype conversation was about my cousin who recently moved in at ASU to start his freshman year.  Before he left, my parents took him out for dinner and my mom laid the speech on him.

Mean Girls Reference

Now clearly, my male cousin cannot get pregnant but the conversation was along those same lines.
It lovingly reminded me of the conversation that I had with my mother about the birds and the bees.
It was less of a conversation and more of threatening declaration.

Kimberly Rose, if you get pregnant, I will kill myself.


Growing up in a Filipino family, I basically accepted that as more of a dramatic exaggeration.
I don't think my parents ever talked to me about sex ed but they never really had to because I've always been inquisitive in nature.  Plus, I researched at some point, I'm sure.
don't worry, I am well educated on the birds and the bees.
Nevertheless, in the back of my mind I always had my mother's voice chiming in that little phrase and so I had zero babies (just to be on the safe side).
and I still don't... ka-ching!

My mom... obviously playing hide-and-seek in a rose bush
I have plenty of incredibly entertaining stories from my mother.
She's a hoot and a half.
I also learned how to line dance from my momma as well as have an affinity for singing karaoke.
I know Carpenter's songs like no one's business.
The original "Fernando" by ABBA has been performed for me since I was like 5.

Despite my mom's great dislike for driving by herself on interstate roads or for long distances, 
she has taught me a lot about life and to be fiercely independent.

I originally wrote this post a few days ago but as always, my mom remains the angel that she is.
Even though I live on the coast now, I know I can text her at anytime and she'll get back to me.
I sent her this short novel in texts and of course, she sent me the equivalent, filled with love and support.

Love you Momma =]
Christmas back in college




No comments :

Post a Comment