Thursday, August 9, 2012

There's No Place Like Home


ding-a-ling, ding-a-ling
I check my computer as I'm mastering making lasagna, plus oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies and realize that it's one of my sorority Littles, Angie, and Ann, the adopted Little.
(my other Little, Erica, is doing it up big in Disney World as part of the Disney College Program).
There are their gorgeous faces and what are they doing?
Of course...BAKING!
Pinterest strikes again!

We talked for over 2 hours and just had a blast.
We celebrated that Angie was finally done with O-Chem (hallelujah)
and was keeping Ann company through the use of baked goods and adult beverages.
good times all around

I miss back home so much.
"Back home" for me is Kenosha and Madison, Wisconsin.
I miss the gorgeous Terrace with the sunburst chairs.
I miss walking down Langdon Street and seeing familiar faces.
I miss my sorority sisters and how goofy they can be.
My husband was shocked at how much time we spent Skyping but I found it to be amazingly therapeutic.
As my search for an apartment or housing complex continues, it just buries me further into stress.
I have called probably 30 numbers and I'm not exaggerating.
It definitely doesn't help that my orders aren't telling where I'm going post-training or what my unit is or anything.
My husband, despite his good intentions, tends to make situations really stressful.
He's already tired when he gets home from work and the thought of having to send our dog back home to Wisconsin for 5+ months makes the situation worse.
I won't give up, not yet!
I'm bound and determined to continue searching, calling and filling out applications.
I don't want to ask for too much, but it really shouldn't be this difficult for military members to find housing. It just shouldn't.
But enough about that, let's talk about how awesome my sorority family is and why I love them.

Ann, Angie, Erica, Maria, and Taylor embody everything that I love about people.
They are caring, funny, hilarious (yes, there's a difference in this case), compassionate (now I'm just using synonyms), and just awesome people.
They remind me about everything I stand for and why I love the human spirit.
We laughed, we talked, we sang, we danced (all via Skype)
and for the first time, in a long time, I wish I could play along with them
as they were playing the Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter drinking game.

Love you gals =]


 

No comments :

Post a Comment